Monday, October 11, 2004

In a Groove ... or In a Rut?

Musically, I'm stuck in the late-1960s/early-1970s era - for example, the John Mayall, Cream, and Derek & the Dominos years of Eric Clapton. Not many artists since then have interested me, except for Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Healey, and, I guess, a few others. Last year, I finally got a car with a working FM radio and I've been listening to WTMD in an effort to modernize my musical tastes. I've heard some good music and bought some contemporary CDs, but you still can't beat the good old days. :)

Two of my favorite guitarists are Peter Green (early Fleetwood Mac) and Duane Allman (early Allman Brothers Band). A few months ago, I started getting interested in the Grateful Dead. Cussion recently posted a picture on The Ledge forum of Peter and Duane playing with the Grateful Dead at the Fillmore East in 1970:


ChiliD identified the musicians in the front row (from left to right): Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, Pig-Pen (Ron McKernan), Bob Weir, Duane Allman, and Gregg Allman. In the back: Jerry Garcia (way in the back), Bill Kreutzman (drums), Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks (drums), Phil Lesh.

Knowing the when and where of the concert and knowing that about 3,000 Grateful Dead concerts are available on-line at the Internet Archive, I went to work and found the actual concert:


The individual songs can be downloaded in MP3 and other formats. From the recording notes:

COMMENTS Late Show. Total time 1:26:37 +. Duane Allman's guitar is audible from near the beginning of Dark Star through the end of the set; Gregg Allman adds organ & vocals during Lovelight, and Berry Oakley plays a second bass on Lovelight. According to Kenny Schachat, who attended the show, the guitarist audible starting about 2:30 into Dark Star and for several minutes thereafter is Peter Green, not Duane, who enters around the middle of Dark Star.

I'm not sure who is playing what on "Dark Star", but "Spanish Jam" sounds very much like live Fleetwood Mac - unfortunately with Peter's guitar, I guess, rather faint in the mix. Still, it's great to hear Duane, Gregg, and Berry. (Gregg shines - pun intended! - in the half-hour version of "Love Light".)

Oops! I almost forgot! Check out South Knox Bubba's brief history of the post-Duane ABB and of his own interest in the group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home